Wednesday, July 11, 2007

She Owns Weapons


In the state of Florida, you're allowed to defend yourself with deadly force. My fantasy author, Sandy Lender, finds great comfort in that fact because she's not sure that she can control her anger these days. So she was sitting in her den typing away at Book III of the Choices Meant for Gods trilogy the other night when a bizarre sound on the back porch ripped her concentration in two. This aggravated her. She went for the medieval dagger before going to the porch to investigate.

Now, I have to ponder this for just a moment. She lives alone in a swamp. There aren't too many neighbors awake or alert or listening for her to shriek for help at 1 a.m. (Okay, so it wasn't quite 1 a.m., but I think everyone knows by now that you go on these writing binges until 2 and 3 a.m. when no one else in the neighborhood is awake.) My point is she scared off whatever was out there, and returned to writing with the dagger beside the keyboard without really thinking about getting assistance from anyone. I asked why she didn't take one of the swords, seeing as how they're longer than the dagger, and received one of those wan smiles that means "don't bother me while I'm typing."

She told me later that she had been mildly disappointed in the lack of foes to stab. Luckily, they won't let her take weapons into court…or I'd be visiting her with all my ideas in jail… I've decided that, while it's wonderful to see her inspired by the wildlife and wilderness of the great open spaces out here in the swamp, I'll feel better when the banks take this place and she's forced to move into an apartment where there are other people around.

Tags: , ,

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites